This delicious summer salad can be served on its own for a light lunch, or on the side of a more substantial meal. Not only is it delicious, this salad is also high in antioxidants, fibre, potassium and folate.
¼ cup cold-pressed olive oil
1 red onion, finely chopped
3-6 garlic cloves (depending on the garlic flavour you desire), crushed
1 ½ cups dry lentils, pre-boiled in lightly salted water and drained (or 2 x 400g cans brown lentils, drained and rinsed)
800g beetroot, steamed and chopped into wedges (or equivalent amount of canned whole baby beetroot, drained and chopped in half/quarters)
1-2 tablespoons red wine or balsamic vinegar
Several good handfuls of baby rocket leaves
200g feta cheese
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add onion. Cook for 2 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and saute gently.
- Turn off heat and add lentils and beetroot - mixing together while still warm.
- Whisk together remaining oil and vinegar, with salt and pepper to taste. Add to lentil-beetroot mix and toss to coat.
- Crumble feta and combine with rocket and lentil-beetroot mixture in a large serving bowl. Toss gently to combine.
- Serve and enjoy! Can be eaten warm or cold.