Your nose is blocked and it’s hard to breathe, your face is aching around your cheeks, eyes and forehead, your face is swollen, and you feel hot and irritable. Chances are you are one of many Australians who suffer from sinusitis.
Sinusitis is often caused by respiratory infections such as the common cold, but allergies (commonly cigarette smoke, air pollution or dairy products) are other triggers.
The mucus membranes in your sinuses and throat become inflamed and swollen, stopping the mucous draining away as it usually would – leaving you with a stuffy head.
There is a lot you can do to prevent attacks:
• Take care in washing your hands to avoid catching respiratory infections
• If your immune system is compromised, fortify yourself with a good vitamin C complex
• If you smoke, quit – now is as good a time as any
• Try to remove or avoid any other known allergens from your environment e.g. pollens, dairy products or animals
• Reduce your alcohol consumption – alcohol will encourage your sinuses to swell
• Limit foods such as dairy products and greasy or deep fried foods as they often aggravate the condition
Once you have a bout of sinusitis take early action to prevent it becoming a chronic condition. Acupuncture often works quite quickly to drain mucous and reduce swelling, relieving pressure in the sinus cavity. Herbs such as eyebright and golden seal have a long history of relieving sinusitis. If you suffer from recurrent sinusitis, speak to one of our qualified practitioners to find the best way to keep your sinuses clear.
- IVF & Natural medicine; Why does recurrent implantation failure occur?
- IVF & Natural medicine; Improving the success rates of IVF
- IVF & TCM; Diagnosing your Infertility
- A Natural Approach to Preconception and Assisted Fertility
- Boosting your Fertility
- Acupuncture in the treatment of pain
- Breastfeeding support at HealthWise
- Learn acupressure for pain relief in labour
- Longevity and the Art of Ageing Well
- Simple solutions to Sinusitis
- Balancing the Doshas
- Top 3 Health Essentials
- Pantry Basics
- The health benefits of nuts
- Herbal medicine for Children
- Detoxification - what does it mean?
- Healing your Headaches
- The 5 Elements Theory
- The Restorative benefits of Nature & the theory of soft focus
- How to have healthy, radiant skin
- When to use Echinacea?
- David's India visit
- David's India trip Part 2: A visit to the barefoot acupuncturists of Mumbai
- David explores yoga and naturopathy in India
- What makes our practitioners tick?
- Zam's yoga retreat in India: A journey of yoga