This cream of mushroom soup recipe is simple to make, but it's so good, everyone always asks me for the recipe! When selecting your dairy-free milk, for best results look for a refrigerated soy variety that contains carrageenan, which will help stabilize the soy milk during heating and prevent separation.
This soup pairs well with a loaf of good, crusty bread.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, chopped
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 1kg mushrooms, chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 cup sherry (optional)
- 7 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup dairy-free sour cream, such as Tofutti
- 1 1/2 cup plain dairy-free soy milk, plus more if necessary
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, heat the oil. Once hot, add the garlic, onions and celery, stirring often until the onions are soft and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, parsley, dried thyme, salt and pepper and sherry and cook, stirring often, until the mushrooms are softened.
- Add the vegetable broth, bring the mixture to a boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Working in batches, process the soup in a blender until smooth, portioning the dairy-free sour cream and soy milk into the processor as you go until all has been used and all of the soup is pureed and transferred back into the saucepan.
- Heat until desired consistency and temperature, and serve with crusty dairy-free bread or crackers.
- Carrot soup (WF, GF, DF)
- Chilled tomato soup (WF, GF, DF)
- Creamy mushroom soup (WF, GF, WL*)
- Dairy-free Cream of Mushroom Soup (GF, WF, DF)
- Lettuce soup (WF, GF, DF)
- Mushroom and oregano soup (WF, GF, DF)
- Pumpkin soup (WF, GF, DF)
- Red lentil and vegetable soup (WF, GF, DF)
- Spicy potato soup (WF, GF, DF)