A lovely winter warming hearty meal.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 medium chilli, chopped
- 6 tomatoes, diced or 200g can of tomatoes
- 6 medium sized mushrooms, chopped
- 2 teaspoons of garam masala
- Salt & freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, roughly torn, (optional)
- 1 cup polenta
- 2 - 2 ½ cups water or vegetable stock
- Heat the water or stock in a saucepan over a medium heat.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, chilli, garam masala, salt and pepper and cook for about 3 minutes or just until soft.
- Add the tomatoes and mushrooms, stir until well cooked.
- Turn off the heat & add some of the torn basil leaves & place a lid on to keep warm.
- Add the Polenta to the hot stock and cook, stirring often, until the stock is absorbed. Add a little more stock or water if required, stirring until the stock is absorbed and the polenta is at a porridge consistency.
- Divide the polenta among shallow bowls and spoon some warm ragu in the centre, top with the remaining basil and serve.
Alternative: Add one diced medium eggplant for extra winter warming.
- Aromatic nut roast with tomato molé (WF, GF, DF)
- Basil & lemon risotto (WF, GF)
- Caribbean sweet potato gratin (WF, GF, DF)
- Carrot and nut loaf (WF, GF, DF)
- Channa Masala (WF, GF, DF)
- Coconut curry rice with tofu (GF, WF, DF)
- Dal makhani (WF, GF, DF)
- Eggplant and chickpea casserole (WF, GF, DF)
- Italian Vegetarian Lasagne (WF, GF, DF, EF)
- Macadamia stuffed Mushrooms (WF, GF, DF)
- Mango, pumpkin and chickpea curry (WF, GF, DF)
- Millet and cashew pilaf (WF, GF, DF)
- Millet stuffed pumpkin (WF, GF, DF)
- Mushroom and bean burgers (GF, WF, DF)
- Mushroom and goat's feta risotto (WF, GF)
- Mushrooms filled with spiced quinoa (WF, GF)
- Paneer and vegetable curry (WF, GF, DF)
- Pigs in a blanket (WF, GF, DF)
- Pumpkin, apricot and tofu risotto (WF, GF, DF)
- Stuffed zucchini (WF, GF, DF)
- Tofu patties (WF, GF, DF)
- Tomato and mushroom ragu with polenta
- Vegetable curry with flat bread (WF, GF, DF)
- Vegetable paella (WF, GF, DF)