Quinoa is pronounced 'keen-wa'. Quinoa is an alkalising food and has a balanced amino acid profile providing high protein. Quinoa has more calcium than milk and is higher in natural fat content than any grain (good for sustaining energy); it is also a source of Vit. B, Vit. E, phosphorous and iron.
- 1 cup (200g/ 61/2 oz) quinoa
- 2 cups (500ml/16 fl oz) vegetable stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 star anise
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 onions, finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garam marsala
- 155 g (5 oz) feta cheese, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 4 large field mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, extra
- Rinse quinoa under cold water for 5 mins or until water runs clear; drain well.
Place quinoa, vegetable stock, bay leaf and star anise into a heavy-based pan. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 mins or until quinoa is translucent.
Remove from heat and allow to stand for 5 mins. By this time the stock will be absorbed into the quinoa. Remove bay leaf and star anise.
Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan. Add onions and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes or until they begin to caramelize. Add the cumin, garam marsala, feta cheese and quinoa. Cook for 3 minutes or until heated through. Remove from heat and stir in the mint and lemon juice.
Remove the stalks from the mushrooms, chop stalks finely and add to quinoa mixture.
Brush mushrooms lightly with extra oil, place fan-side down on a pre-heated char-grill or barbeque. Cook for 3 minutes or until browned, turn over and fill caps with the quinoa mixture. Cook for 5 minutes or until the mushrooms are tender.
- Serve hot with salad.
- Aromatic nut roast with tomato molé (WF, GF, DF)
- Basil & lemon risotto (WF, GF)
- Caribbean sweet potato gratin (WF, GF, DF)
- Carrot and nut loaf (WF, GF, DF)
- Channa Masala (WF, GF, DF)
- Coconut curry rice with tofu (GF, WF, DF)
- Dal makhani (WF, GF, DF)
- Eggplant and chickpea casserole (WF, GF, DF)
- Italian Vegetarian Lasagne (WF, GF, DF, EF)
- Macadamia stuffed Mushrooms (WF, GF, DF)
- Mango, pumpkin and chickpea curry (WF, GF, DF)
- Millet and cashew pilaf (WF, GF, DF)
- Millet stuffed pumpkin (WF, GF, DF)
- Mushroom and bean burgers (GF, WF, DF)
- Mushroom and goat's feta risotto (WF, GF)
- Mushroom and Walnut Tart
- Mushrooms filled with spiced quinoa (WF, GF)
- Paneer and vegetable curry (WF, GF, DF)
- Pigs in a blanket (WF, GF, DF)
- Pumpkin, apricot and tofu risotto (WF, GF, DF)
- Pumpkin, Spinach, Ginger & Tofu Curry (GF, WF, DF)
- Stuffed zucchini (WF, GF, DF)
- Tofu patties (WF, GF, DF)
- Tomato and mushroom ragu with polenta
- Vegetable curry with flat bread (WF, GF, DF)
- Vegetable paella (WF, GF, DF)