When the weather is cold, it's time to warm ourselves up from the inside. This is one of our favourite drink recipes in the clinic. Chai is a spicy, aromatic and delicious drink that is perfect for this time of year!
- 200mL cow / soy / rice / almond milk
- 50mL water
- 1 teaspoon tea leaves (can use a tea bag if you don't have loose leaf) (Black or Green tea)
- 1 cinnamon stick or 1 pinch cinnamon powder
- 1cm chopped fresh ginger or 1 pinch ginger powder
- 1-2 cardamom pods, slightly crushed or 1 pinch cardamom powder
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1-2 teaspoons honey or raw sugar
- Place all ingredients together (except the milk) in a saucepan and bring to the boil. When the chai spice mix comes to the boil add the milk & bring back to a rolling boil. The mixture will froth up - when this happens, reduce the heat and allow to simmer for another 1-2 minutes.
- Strain into a large mug and sit down (preferably in a cushy chair, in a patch of sunshine) to sip contentedly.