Traditional Chinese Medicine has been used to support women through pregnancy and birth for over two thousand years. Gynaecology from the Han dynasty (206BC-220CE) is documented in several books with chapters dedicated to pregnancy and post-partum disease. Obstetric and gynaecology acupuncture theory has continued to flourish by building on these original Traditional Chinese Medicine concepts.
Is acupuncture safe in pregnancy?
This study also supports our own positive experience of treating many women to support their own health and that of their babies.
How can acupuncture be useful for pregnant women?
There are several ways that acupuncture can be beneficial for pregnant women.
- The Traditional Chinese Medicine theory is based on supporting balance in the body, when the balance is disturbed, ill-health may result. Ideally, we address any imbalances to prevent problems occurring with the pregnancy and attain a state of optimal wellbeing during the pregnancy.
- Sometimes, a health condition such as nausea or back pain may occur during pregnancy, this may be treated as it arises.
- Acupuncture can be a very relaxing experience, which is beneficial to anyone who leads a stressful or busy life.
Acupuncture can prepare a woman for birth.
When should a pregnant woman have acupuncture?
- First trimester
Usually weekly treatment is at this time we may also be able to provide relief from morning sickness.
- Second & third trimester
Treatment may be maintained on a monthly basis.
- From 36 weeks
Weekly treatment (or more often if required) to prepare for birth. We also teach acupressure for pain relief during these weeks to women and their birth partners.
What conditions may acupuncture assist with?
- Morning sickness
- Haemorrhoids & varicose veins
- Musculo-skeletal pain
- Pre-birth treatment
experienced at treating pregnant women?
Our close proximity to several large fertility clinics and convenient city location enables us to see a large proportion of women from pre-conception through to birth.
- Acupressure for pain relief in labour: learn it here
- Acupuncture as a pre-birth and labour induction treatment
- Acupuncture for a healthy pregnancy
- Acupuncture for back pain relief in pregnancy
- Acupuncture for morning sickness relief
- Morning sickness and natural medicine
- Acupuncture to turn a breech position foetus
- Breastfeeding support
- Bringing on baby: a pre-birth guide to natural medicine