- 2 large eggplants (cubed, salted, drained, rinsed and dried)
- olive oil for frying
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 tablespoon currants
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
- 6 roma tomatoes, quartered lengthways
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 red chillies, sliced finely
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- handful of parsley, chopped
- 1/2 preserved lemon, discard flesh and slice rind finely
- a few handfuls of baby spinach leaves
- Warm olive oil in pan and fry eggplant until golden in small batches. Remove from pan and drain on paper towel.
- In same pan, saute cumin seeds, garlic, currants and almonds until golden. Add tomato and oregano until browned. Remove from heat.
- Add fried eggplant, chilli, lemon juice, parsley, preserved lemon and spinach to the tomato mixture. Season with black pepper. Allow to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes prior to serving.