Quinoa, pronounced keen-wa, is a South American grain (or more accurately, a seed). It is much higher in protein than many other grains and gluten-free.
- 1/3 cup quinoa flakes
- 1 cup water
- 1 apple, grated (optional)
- small handful of almonds or other raw nuts (optional)
- sprinkle of cinnamon, ground
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen berries e.g. raspberries or blueberries (optional)
- 2 teaspoons tahini (optional)
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal (optional)
- Combine water, quinoa flakes, apple, almonds and cinnamon in a small saucepan and stir well. Bring to boil, continually stirring, for approximately 1 1/2 minutes or until cooked.
- Remove from heat and pour into a serving bowl. Stir in tahini and flaxseed meal. Top with berries.